New Pasta Ideas
Tired of the same spaghetti, bowtie pasta, or easy mac and cheese?
These classic pastas are easy to make, which is perhaps why we cook them so often. However, these three types of pasta are simple and lack creativity, so it can get boring to keep making the same types of pasta! We need our carbs, but I've recently been asking myself (as I'm sure you have too), are there more exciting, original ways to get our carbs in a healthier way?
So, this question led to some thinking and experimentation. I've been investigating some new ideas to make pasta more nutritious and more interesting. In the process I've discovered some suggestions that I think you will find helpful the next time you make pasta, just as I have!
Ingredients (although may seem like a strange combination, work together really well!):
- Bowtie pasta (brand: Barilla Protein Plus)
- 1 salmon burger
- 1 can of tomato soup
- Cream cheese
1. Boil the amount of water specified on pasta box in a medium pot, then pour in pasta.
2. While the pasta cooks, in another pot heat up the tomato soup. In between the occasional stirring of the soup and the pasta, grill/microwave the salmon burger.
3. When the pasta is slightly al dente (you should know by biting into it, since you would see a thin strip of white in the center of the noodle) turn off the heat and pour it into a strainer.
3. Pour 1/2 of the hot soup on the plate, then pour the pasta on top. Drizzle a bit more soup on top, then crumble the salmon burger on top of that. Finally, dole out small scoops of cream cheese and spread out evenly throughout the pasta so they melt a bit. And now, you can enjoy!
What to take away from this recipe...
- Yes, there are types of noodles that have extra protein inside, such as Barilla Protein Plus bowties! A great way to boost protein, and I recommend that brand in particular because it still tastes like normal pasta :)
-Don't feel like putting your energy into whipping up a flavorful sauce, and finding all the perfect spices for it? Substituting soup instead will save you the hassle!
-Did you read that right? I told you that you should put cream cheese on pasta? Well yes, that is not a joke or trick to see if you were paying attention. Parmesan, move aside, because cream cheese is actually excellent on most types of pasta. It's what I call a connector, it brings together the flavors and/or textures of other ingredients and enhances them. While putting cream cheese on top of your next pasta could be uncharted territory for you, great dishes are never played safe, so I urge you to try it!
Ingredients (again, may seem like a strange combination but surprisingly works well):
- Miracle Noodle angel hair pasta
-1 can of mushroom bisque soup (Amy's is my favorite brand of this), not to be confused with cream of mushroom
-Small mozzarella balls
1. Boil the amount of water specified on the package in a medium pot, then pour in the pasta. Cook according to directions on the package.
2. While the pasta is cooking, in a medium saucepan pour some olive oil then add the desired amount of taco meat. Also, in a medium pot heat up the mushroom bisque.
3. When the pasta is finished, drain all the water from it and let it sit until you think most of the moisture is gone.
4. Pour 1/3-1/2 of the soup onto a plate and pour the Miracle Noodles on top. Then, pour the taco meat over it, and finish it off by adding the small mozzarella spheres. And finally, bon appétit!
What to take away from this recipe...
- What is Miracle Noodle? My new favorite guilt-free pasta! These noodles have no calories, yet all of the consistency and flavor of a real noodle! Perfect for diets, or if you want to reduce your calorie intake. However, they taste a bit bland, which is why they work best paired with intense flavors such as that of the mushroom bisque.
-Taco meat isn't just great in tacos, but it's great on pasta! The rich flavor matches that of the mushroom bisque, and contrasts the more bland noodles.
-I don't know about you, but the stringy consistency of mozzarella cheese can get old. Choosing more fun shapes for your cheese such as spheres definitely makes it more creative, and fun to eat!
9/2/2018 03:18:31 pm
Both of these recipes look quite different and delicious. I am excited to try them and see how the different flavor combinations work together.
9/2/2018 03:25:32 pm
I LOVE Miracle Noodles and am always wondering how to make them. Will give this and the other recipe a try - cream cheese seems like a fun touch for the first one too. Thanks for the ideas!
Leave a Reply.
A high schooler with a love of food. See the My Story page to find out more.
"Time to eat smart."