Since the COVID-19 outbreak, schools across the United States have closed, bars and restaurants have shut down or reduced their services, and many social events have been canceled or postponed. While these changes to promote social distancing are hopefully temporary, COVID-19 has caused many Americans to feel scared and uncertain about the future. As we are becoming increasingly encouraged to socially isolate ourselves as much as possible, you may have found yourself, as well as many others around you, stocking up at local grocery stores to prepare for the unknown.
Some of you may cook a lot, while to others the reality of cooking so many in-home meals may feel overwhelming. If you're wondering what to do with this food to maintain variety and enthusiasm over time, below are some inexpensive, easy, and quick ideas for cooking breakfast, lunch, and dinner to inspire you and those who may be isolated along with you.
**All recipes make one serving unless otherwise stated.**
NUTRITIOUS BREAKFAST SANDWICH
1. 2 skinny bagel halves, type of choice (for a healthier option, you may substitute for
2. 1 slice of tomato
3. 1/3 of an avocado
4. 1 egg
5. A pinch of salt
1. Toast the two skinny bagel halves in a toaster for around three minutes, or until they look slightly golden.
2. Scramble one egg.
3. Using a knife, thinly slice the avocado. Place avocado on the bottom bagel half, and spread around gently.
4. Sprinkle on a pinch of salt, then place the tomato slice, then the scrambled egg, on top. Finally, close the sandwich with the top bagel half. Enjoy!
HEALTHY EGG-IN-A-HOLE TOAST
1. 1 slice of whole grain bread (healthier choice: Eziekel/sprouted bread)
2. 1 tbsp butter (optional)
3. Egg whites
4. Vegetable of choice (recommended: finely chopped broccoli)
5. A pinch of salt
1. Cut a circle in the middle of the slice of bread, allowing approximately an inch of bread surrounding the empty circle.
2. Add the optional butter to a medium saucepan, or simply spray some olive oil on the pan. Once melted, place the slice of toast in the pan.
3. Once one side of the bread is slightly golden, flip the slice. In the hole, add your vegetable of choice and the egg whites on top. Once the egg whites harden and form, flip the bread once more. Once the egg whites have totally formed, sprinkle on a pinch of salt, and the toast is ready to serve. Enjoy!
HOMEMADE "FRIED" RICE
1. 1 cup white long grain rice (most authentic) or brown rice (healthier)
2. Vegetables of choice (suggested: broccoli, carrots, peas)
3. Sesame oil
4. 1 egg
5. Soy sauce
6. Green onions (optional)
1. Pour sesame oil into a skillet and turn the heat to medium-high. Add the vegetables and cook until tender.
2. Beat the egg. Then, push the vegetables to the side of the skillet, and on the other half scramble the beaten egg. Stir to incorporate.
3. In a small pot, boil 1 cup of water, then add 1 cup of rice. Cook until all water evaporates.
4. Combine the rice with the egg and vegetables. Stir, add the desired amount of soy sauce, and stir again.
5. Once the fried rice mixture is heated throughout, add the optional garnish of thinly sliced green onions. Serve and enjoy!
SPRING PESTO PASTA (serves 6)
1. 1 lb pasta noodles of choice
2. 1/2 cup basil pesto
3. 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
4. Zest from 1 lemon
5. 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese, cut into cubes
6. 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Boil salted water in a large pot, then add the pasta. Cook for 11 minutes, or until the pasta is of an al dente form. Next, drain the pasta, leaving about 1/4 cup of water in the pot.
2. Pour the noodles into a large bowl, add the pesto, and stir to combine If the pesto is too thick, add the leftover cooking water in small increments until the sauce is of the desired consistency.
3. Add in the mozzarella, lemon zest, and chives to the large bowl of pasta and stir to combine.
4. Divide up the pasta into bowls and add a Parmesan garnish on top. Enjoy!
DELICIOUS POACHED FRUIT
1. Apples (1/2 apple per person served)
2. Pears (1/2 pear per person served)
4. Dark chocolate chips
5. A splash of milk
1. Cut the apple and pear into slices about 1/2 an inch thick. Then, place the slices larger side down in a large saucepan or two. Turn the heat to medium.
2. Once the apple and pear slices seem partially tender, flip them over and add a sprinkle of cinnamon onto each surface.
3. Once the apple and pear slices are tender throughout, flip each slice back onto their original sides. Add another sprinkle of cinnamon each, and plate the slices.
4. Melt the desired amount of dark chocolate chips with a splash of milk in the microwave. Depending on how many dark chocolate chips were added, this may take 30 to 60 seconds, or until the chocolate chips are soft. Remove mixture from microwave, and stir until smooth.
5. Dip the poached apple and pear slices with the warm dark chocolate dipping sauce you just made, or drizzle the sauce on top of the fruit. Enjoy!
MICROWAVE OREO MUG CAKE
1. 2 tbsp white chocolate chips
2. 10 Double Stuf Oreos
3. 1/2 tsp baking powder
4. 1/2 cup milk
5. Whipped cream (optional)
1. Microwave the milk and white chocolate chips in a mug for 30 seconds. Stir til smooth.
2. Fill a Ziploc bag with the Oreos. Seal the bag, and crush the Oreos with a rolling pin. Set aside 1 tablespoon of the crushed Oreos for the final garnish.
3. Pour the crushed Oreos and the baking powder into the mug with the milk and white chocolate chip mixture. Stir everything together, and microwave the mixture for 2.5 to 3 minutes on high.
4. Remove the mug from the microwave, and garnish the mug cake with whipped cream and the tablespoon of Oreos you set aside earlier. Enjoy!
4/3/2020 07:03:47 pm
The fried rice was perfect Jessica - easy and delicious!
Leave a Reply.
A high schooler with a love of food. See the My Story page to find out more.
"Time to eat smart."